Pages

Thursday Showcase: Frightened Rabbit

Thursday 7 March 2013



I've been a Frabbit fan for a few years now, and I can safely say they are one of my favourite bands without question. Frightened Rabbit are a 5 piece indie rock band from the Scottish Borders who formed way back in 2003. Since then, they have released 4 studio albums and several EPs. Their album The Midnight Organ Fight is still a firm favourite of mine, released in 2007. Lead vocalist and lyricist Scott Hutchison has such a unique, captivating voice which seems to lend itself to any style of music they put their hand to. I find their older material to have a bit more of a 'folk-y' tone than their recent material, take Old Old Fashioned for example. I've included a couple of live Youtube videos because although I haven't seen them live (yet!), they seem to put on a pretty good show!

I often find myself pausing a track halfway through as the lyrics seem to catch me off guard, and I have to backtrack and listen to them again. And again. And again. Something about the way the songs are written just feels honest to me. It feels like someone is pouring their heart out to anyone listening, for example The Twist. I find myself relating to so many of their songs, and I have to admire their raw honesty with songs like Keep Yourself Warm. Frightened Rabbit actually have a new album out, Pedestrian Verse, and from what I've heard so far, it's definitely taken a different direction to their previous work. However different it is, I'm certain that Scott Hutchison's talent for song writing and his dreamy voice will keep me listening!

What do you think of Frightened Rabbit?

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled across Frightened Rabbit a few months back and instantly liked so many of their songs. Definitely need to check out their new album :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing! I just checked them out and they have a really cool sound!

    A little bit Unique

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are incredible :) Found them on Spotify per chance a few weeks ago and officially in love! Great blog btw! Xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...